Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday 10 August 2016

Belly Buttons or in Acadian, Bourriques

Belly Buttons or in Acadian, Bourriques


These pastries, which resemble cinnamon rolls, have been made throughout Acadia for many, many years. Although they are usually given the colourful name Pets de soeurs (literally, nun’s fart), they are also called Rosettes, Rondelles, Hirondelles, Bourriques de vieilles, Bourriques de soeurs or Bourriques de viarges (Rosettes, Slices, Swallows, Old Women’s Belly Buttons, Nun’s Belly Buttons and Virgin’s Belly Buttons).

Crust
3 cups (750 ml) flour
2 tbsp. (30 ml) baking powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
1 tsp. (5 ml) sugar
½ cup (125 ml) lard
1 cup (250 ml) milk

Filling
2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter, softened to spread on pastry
1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar

Sift the dry ingredients together. Blend in the lard to form a coarse mixture. Gradually add the milk until a soft dough is formed. Roll the dough until it is fairly thin, although it should be thicker than a regular pie crust.

Butter the dough with soft butter, cover with ¼ inch (6 mm) of brown sugar. Roll the dough like a jelly roll and slice into circles about ½ inch (15 mm) thick.

Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes or until the Bourriques are golden brown.
As always, comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome

6 comments:

  1. Could I use shortening instead of lard ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you can use shortening. You used to when I was younger. I loved it when you would bake these for me. That and a big glass of milk.

    Lard is pig fat so it's high in cholesterol.
    Shortening is made from vegetable fat - e.g., Crisco - and is generally flavorless.

    I think it's time for me to update my recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use water in place of milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it would taste the same. Let me know if you do and how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. mmm les rosettes!!! Makes me miss my nanny and papa. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment

      Delete