Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday 17 September 2016

Pumpernickel Bread

Pumpernickel Bread


I spoke about this bread with Krystal Cashin at work.  She was intrigued.  I looked up the meaning of this bread in Wikipedia.  I guess "Pumperknickel" means "devils fart" as this bread will give you gas.  Who knew...?  

What, bread that makes you fart?  This is every guy's dream excuse...  Let me set the scene.  You watching TV with your favorite gal, and you "accidentally" pass some gas.  "Oh honey, I am SO SORRY!  But it was the sandwich that you made me earlier.  That darn tasty pumpernickel bread.  It gives me gas".  (Meanwhile, your laughing inside)

I just like it cause of the taste.  Toasted and made into a sandwich...  hmmm...  yummy!  I never noticed the gas part.

If your like me, and you probably are, who has "bread flour" in their cupboards?  I don't.  So I add a tablespoon of extra gluten flour.  I got about a cup of it at the Bulk Barn.  I think it cost about $0.50.

Ingredients
2 cups warm milk
2 2/3 t active dry yeast
pinch of white sugar
3 1/4 cups bread flour
1 1/3 cups rye flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 1/3 t salt
4 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 heaping T caraway seeds
2 2/3 T brown sugar
2 T vegetable oil
4 T molasses

Directions
In a two cup measuring cup, warm the milk in the microwave until warm, but NOT hot. 

Whisk in the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes or until bubbly and frothy.

In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook) combine the flours, corn meal, salt, cocoa powder, caraway seeds, and brown sugar. 

Add the yeast mixture, vegetable oil, and molasses, knead with the dough hook until dough comes together. Add more rye flour a tablespoon at a time until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Transfer to a large greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with a tea towel and set aside to rise for one hour.

Transfer to a greased and parchment lined bread pan. Cover and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375F. Bake bread for 30-40 minutes or until dark and hollow sounding when tapped. 
Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Slice and enjoy!

Here is a video for you to enjoy!



Did you like the video?  Give it a "Thumbs Up", or subscribe.  That would be great.

As always, comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment