Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday 20 August 2016

Dad's Chinese Noodles

Dad's Chinese Noodles

Every family has that recipe that was created at home and you never make it the same twice.
This is one of those recipes that my father created one day.  
The year would have been 1976.  
I was 14 years old and this started me off on my adventure of being a cooking enthusiast

I started with 2 x Pork Tenderloins on the rotisserie

Put a pan under the roast to catch the drippings.
1.  makes less mess
2. you got drippings if you want to make gravy

Ye Old Temperature Guage
This help avoid raw meat and law suits

They are done and ready to be cut up

See that left hand?  
Yea, learn from my fail.
That hand got burnt by grabbing the rotisserie
It just came out of a flaming hot BBQ

Anyways, remove the rod and put it aside where it will not burn anyone else

Ready to cut

Really?  I am using a bread knife to cut the roast?
Must have been the first long knife that I could get my hands on

Yup, cooked all the way through

Concentration!

Mum, my camera person is stealing the pork as I am cutting it

Cutting away

Baked potatoe and rotisserie pork
Life is good

Now on to the Chinese Noodle part

Stir fry your veggies

The pot on the left has elbow macaroni on the boil

I put the remainder of the rotisserie pork in the frying pan along with the stir fried veggies

Mixing and mixing and mixing
Always with the mixing

Strain the cooked macaroni
Add it to the mixture

Mix that all up

The "secret" ingredient

You caught me adding the "secret" ingredient

Heat and serve

Ingredients

2 diced onions
5 stalks of celery
2 green peppers
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon crushed, minced or chopped garlic
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce AKA the "secret" ingredient
Left over meat, cut into bite sized chunks

Directions

Boil the elbow macaroni as per  the instruction on the package.  Some of you like it al dente or some of you like it cooked all the way through.  This is YOUR take on this recipe, not mine.

Fry up the veggies and spices.  Once they are fried up, add the left over meat.  When Dad and I used to make this, we first started with steak.  Not left over steak, but we would cook a steak, cut it up and use that.  Many years later, we found that adding pork was fantastic.  Back in the day, we would use soy sauce with liquid smoke vice the teriyaki sauce.  The liquid smoke meant that when I made this, Tonya wouldn't have any of it.  I used to add a lot of liquid smoke to ensure it was all mine.  (Sorry Tonya)

Once the meat, veggies, spices and other stuff has been added, stir in the strained elbow macaroni.

OK, another "back in the day" moment.  We also used to put this into a roasting pan and put it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes.  This would brown the top layer.  Why did we do this?  I don't know.  It was just the way things were done.  Now, after it's been all mixed together, we serve it up and eat it.

Comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment