Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday 28 August 2016

How to cook a roast at 500 F

How to cook a roast at 500 F


I am not sure that cooking a roast at high temperatures is new or not.  But I know that it's pretty new to me.  Since my brother and his wife are visiting, I thought that I would do up a roast beef and cut it up for sandwich meat.

Good thing that I am able to hold my tongue.  When you watching this video, I am holding the camera in the one hand and trying to lift the roast in the cast iron skillet in the other.  In the end, there really wasn't enough beef drippings to make a gravy with.  Watch the video and see.


Ingredients

1 roast
1/3 cup olive oil (you can use melted butter)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Stuff you will need

1 mixing bowl
1 large cast iron skillet

Directions

Thaw your roast. 

Preheat the oven to 500 F.

 Put the roast in a cast iron skillet.  Do not put this in a dutch oven, or the heat will not get to the roast and you will not end up with a crust on the roast.

Mix the other ingredients and rub it all over the roast.

Put the roast into the oven.

5 min per pound for medium
6 min per pound for medium well
7 min per pound for well done

Once you have done the math to figure out how long your roast is supposed to be in the oven at 500 F, set the timer and walk away.

Once the time has elapsed, turn the oven off.  Now set the timer for 2 hours.  Don't crack the oven door open.  Don't take a peek to see how it's doing.  It's doing just fine.

At the end of two hours, take the roast out of the oven.  Since it was resting for the last two hours in the oven, you can cut it up right away.

Make you gravy with the roast beef drippings.  Sever it up with your favorite side dish.

The first time I tried this method.  I did it with a rib roast @ 9.99 a pound.  It was a 4 pound roast, so it was in the oven at 500 F for 20 minutes.  That was about the longest 2 1/2 hours of my life.

But the results...  OUTSTANDING!

Comments and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment